Designed to scale out Brocade VCS fabrics, the 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE)-ready Brocade VDX 8770 Switch supports complex, highly dynamic environments with dense virtualization and extensive automation requirements. The Brocade VDX 8770 is a highly scalable, low-latency 1/10/40 GbE modular switch, available in both 8U four-slot and 15U eight-slot versions.
The Brocade VDX 8770 supports the most demanding data center networking needs. Highlights include:
- Simplifies network architectures and enables elastic cloud networking with Brocade VCS Fabric technology
- Enables easy scale-out of Brocade VCS fabrics with unified logical chassis management
- Provides efficiently load-balanced multipathing at Layers 1, 2, and 3, and multiple active Layer 3 gateways
- Delivers 40 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) wire-speed switching with auto-trunking Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) for non-disruptive scaling, with direct connections for more than 8000 server ports per fabric
- Simplifies Virtual Machine (VM) mobility and management with automated, dynamic port profile configuration and migration
- Provides scale-out performance and investment protection via a 100 GbE-ready, 4 Tbps per slot line-rate design while delivering exceptional application response times with 4-microsecond latency
- Provides hardware-enabled support for Software-Defined Networking (SDN) implementations across data, control, and management planes
Compared to classic Ethernet architectures, Brocade VCS Fabric technology allows all paths to be active and provides greater scalability — while reducing management complexity.
Brocade VCS fabrics provide considerable elasticity, compared to both traditional Ethernet networks and competitive Ethernet fabric solutions. With Brocade, organizations can start with small VCS fabrics and scale out the fabric as their needs dictate.
The Brocade VDX 8770 can be used to build a wide range of VCS fabrics, including:
- Smaller-scale VCS fabrics: Can collapse access and aggregation tiers using the Brocade VDX 8770 as a port-dense middle-of-row/end-of-row access switch
- Medium-scale VCS fabric configurations: Can utilize the Brocade VDX 8770 as a spine switch in combination with Brocade VDX 6710, 6720, and 6730 leaf switches
- Large and very large VCS fabrics: Can use the Brocade VDX 8770 homogeneously as both leaf and spine switches
DESIGNED FOR THE MOST DEMANDING DATA CENTER NETWORKS
The Brocade VDX 8770 is a high-performance Ethernet fabric switch that meets the most demanding data center networking needs. Key platform features include:
- Support for more than 8000 ports in a single VCS fabric, with efficient multipathing at Layers 1-3, enabling the switch to serve extremely large-scale deployments with the best-possible network utilization
- Support for 1, 10, and 40 GbE to satisfy current needs, with 100 GbE readiness to support future bandwidth requirements and technology
- 4 Tbps per slot line-rate design for substantial capacity and headroom
- 4-microsecond latency to assure rapid response for latency-sensitive applications
- Support for up to 384,000 MAC addresses per fabric for extensive virtualization scalability
- Hardware-enabled to flexibly support emerging Software-Defined Networking (SDN) protocols. RESTful APIs provide openness to emerging management frameworks such as OpenStack.
Brocade VCS fabrics technology enable highly elastic Layer 2 and Layer 3 domains with multiple active Layer 3 gateways and highly efficient load balancing at Layer 3, on top of Layer 2 Equal Cost Multi-Path (ECMP) and Brocade ISL Trunking. The results are more effective link utilization that reduces overall cost, more resilience that results in greater application uptime, and a more flexible, agile network that helps organizations rapidly adapt to changing business conditions.
UNMATCHED SIMPLICITY AND AUTOMATION
Brocade VCS Fabric technology helps streamline network operations and speed deployment with embedded features that enable automatic configuration and management. These features include:
- Brocade VCS Logical Chassis: The VCS Logical Chassis feature allows organizations to manage an entire VCS fabric as a single switch. This eliminates the need to manually configure and manage each switch, simplifying management and reducing operational costs. As additional switches are added, they inherit the configuration of the fabric, allowing the network to scale out with ease.
- Optimized for Virtualization: Brocade VM-Aware Network Automation provides secure connectivity and full visibility to virtualized resources with dynamic learning and activation of port profiles. Automatic Migration of Port Profiles (AMPP), implemented in a hypervisor-agnostic manner, enables seamless VM migration, since the VCS fabric is aware of port profiles and automatically tracks them as they move.
MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY AT LAYERS 1-3
Brocade VCS Fabric technology provides the foundation for a flexible and responsive network infrastructure while delivering maximum efficiency. Brocade VCS Fabric technology enables highly elastic Layer 2 and Layer 3 domains with extremely efficient load balancing and multiple active Layer 3 gateways, in addition to Layer 2 ECMP and Brocade ISL Trunking. Multilayer multipathing helps improve network utilization, reduce latency, and increase overall network performance.
In addition, public and private cloud providers need to deploy and support distributed virtualized workloads quickly, securely, and in a scalable manner, on a per-tenant basis. The Virtual Fabric feature of VCS Fabric technology both multiplies the total number of VLANs available within a given domain and makes more efficient use of each one by allowing multiple tenants to co-exist securely within a single VLAN. This approach to multitenancy provides the simplicity and familiarity of traditional Layer 2 separation techniques with the scale and flexibility required in modern data centers. The Brocade VDX 8770 Switch also provides hardware support for Layer 3 overlays in a protocol-agnostic fashion.
Brocade Fabric Watch is an innovative switch health monitoring feature available on all Brocade VDX switches. Fabric Watch monitors the health of certain switch components and, based on the threshold set, declares each component as marginal or down.
ETHERNET STORAGE CONNECTIVITY
The Brocade VDX 8770 connects to FCoE, iSCSI, and NAS storage. The FCoE feature can be turned on with an add-on software license.
Our Sales Representatives are available to discuss your data center, network and power management needs.
Phone 630.904.6166 or